Pages

Paris Fashion Week: Bridal Style Takeaways from John Galliano's Fall/Winter 2011-2012 RTW Show

Ah, Paris Fashion Week. Unfortunately, John Galliano's terrible statements put a damper on the gorgeousness of his show, but if we peel away all the non-fashion press, there's truly some beautiful bridal inspiration to be had.
The Fall/Winter 2011-2012 ready-to-wear collection from Galliano's personal label showcased only 19 looks, and as models regally walked around ornate flower centerpieces and prop vignettes, they dictated trends that translate wonderfully to chic aisle style...
paris-fashion-week-bridal-inspiration-dior-john-gallianoOne of my bridal-related takeaways from Galliano's show was pairing multi-textured neutrals.
{At left}: While I still won't condone white tights for any NYC bride, I love the tweedy skirt and retro-cut car coat in a snowy off-white, paired with the fawn colored collar and exaggerated head piece. The snow and fawn colors shown here, paired with a wine stained lip and nail, seem perfect for the city-hall bound winter bride.
{At right}: Overly dramatic, yet cohesively chic, I adore this pairing of feathers in both dress and accessory for the fashion-forward bride. Brides generally limit themselves to one statement-driven piece for their wedding, but here, the multi-faceted use of feathers is cohesive and perfect for a tastefully dramatic bride. To me, the slate gray ostrich headpiece only ups the ante on the overtly feathered gown.
Psst, want less feather, but the same amount of sass for a black tie event of your own? You'll love this more wallet-friendly gown from BCBG, paired with a Twigs and Honey hairpiece.
paris-fashion-week-bridal-inspiration-dior-john-gallianoNext, a little "runway to realway," perhaps? The water colored pattern and color story of the Galliano gown at left instantly reminded me of this BHLDN wedding gown I previewed during the newly minted company's launch event. Now available on the BHDLN Web site, the Zinnia Gown {and its not-too-distant runway cousin} both evoke a bit of bold femininity that I love. Even if you're not digging a printed wedding dress, the palette and feel of both gowns could easily inspire other wedding-related event attire.
paris-fashion-week-bridal-inspiration-dior-john-gallianoOK, I truly love the collection, but I can't help but have one snarky little call-out. Who in the world did the prop styling for this runway?! I mean, I know these guys are considered the masters of the craft, but let's count the randomness of the prop list for this: Tufted settee {Alright, very Galliano-esque}. Fringed gypsy scarf {I guess it adds color?}. Old bicycle {A little overused, but fine}. Teddy bear. Carousel horse. Esteemed portrait of a hound dog?! Now that's just crazy pants.
I admit, I love a well styled vignette more than most, but wowzers this is just distracting... In fact, I think it may be the show's best wedding-related takeaway yet: Keep it focused! Remember the main event should shine above everything else. Try not to over-design {yourself or your decor}.

xx,







All photos via Getty Images.

No comments:

Post a Comment